2.23.2009

catching the butterfly


I never posted my new year's resolutions, probably because I have never been a fan of resolutions. This year, though, there are a few things on my mind that I would like to accomplish.

1. Learn to can/preserve.
My mom is a pro at this, and she has happily asked if she could teach me! Did you get that? I didn't ask her, she asked me! So I definitely have a way to learn this skill, and I look forward to the end of summer when those tomatoes are coming in heavy and ripening quickly.
2. Garden.
This would be assumed from #1, that to learn to can I need something to can. I will be planning, planting, and tending to my own garden this year. Last year I had help from Sean, but he's moved, so it's all on me now. Here are some links that I want to bookmark for myself, on slugs, beetles, fertilizer.
3. Make a quilt.
This quilt. This is something I've always wanted to do, but had no idea how I would even begin to learn the art. From the outside, it seems so hard to comprehend, let alone actually make it come together and look (and feel) beautiful. That link makes it look achievable.
4. Knit something other than a scarf.
This could mean a shawl, a cowl, a hat, socks, etc. Just something a bit harder and more advanced than a long, skinny rectangle.

This is it so far. I'll add to this list if my resolutions change.

3 comments:

Natalie Freeman said...

First of all, I KNOW HOW TO CAN! Well, I've canned apple sauce & jams... but.... I have two HUGE books about other canning processes, and well, if you cannot can with your mom or you want the extra practice, LET ME KNOW & we can get at it together!

Also, I've got to check out those bookmarks. I told Luke about our ideas to garden in the front of your house & he was totally into that idea.

Finally, that quilt is gorgeous!

Good luck in all of your creative adventures.

& sometimes I feel like we're the same person, haha... with our similar interests & all.

It was so nice to see you today!

michele said...

I love the quilt too--maybe we can exchange gardening info with quilting how-to's.

By the way, my blog is extinct because I was not doing so well at keeping it up. Instead, Joe and I have started one that will trace our adventures starting this summer, as well as the beautiful pieces of knowledge we learn along the way: natural history, social and political commentary, photography, etc.

No Place Like Home
http://bolducadventures.blogspot.com/

Lainey Seyler said...

i would also like to learn how to can this year. should be interesting to say that least. and i'm also going to attempt gardening. i'm not too optimistic about it because i usually get too eager and then give up. we shall see. let me know how it goes. i'm sure i'll need some help.